Tuesday, February 10, 2009

In search of the ultimate knitted hat

I have been knitting a ridiculous amount of hats for Yashar lately. This is attempt number 2. I saw this wool at the local Pazar (our local Friday market) and suddenly I had the impulse to make something bright and colourful for him, instead of in the pale blues and greys that I would normally choose.

This one is pretty simple - I just knitted from the bottom up in a rib pattern on circular knitting needles. Once it got to be about 15cm long I started decreasing by knitting two together at the start of each rib on alternate rounds. I had wanted to it to fold up at the bottom but it isn't quite long enough (although it is long enough to keep his ears nice and warm). I think it looks like a little tea cosy!

I have knitted two more hats for him that I will take photos of as soon as we get some light enough weather. Despite all these hats, I need to make more! None of these have been quite right. So I had a good look on ravelry.com - a website I had known about for a while but only just got into. There are some really gorgeous patterns to be found on there (after a bit of searching). I especially love this owls jumper.

I think/hope I have found the ultimate hat for Yashar. It is on the needles at the moment. To be continued...

3 comments:

renai said...

love it! looks so cute on him. he makes a great model for it too!

Anonymous said...

Yashar looks sooo cute - it does look a little like a tea cosy but most knitted close fitting hats tend to look like a tea cosy. It will certainly keep him nice and warm.

Anonymous said...

Yashar is too gorgeous! Great photos, and the hat is beautiful...anoter product for the etsy site :)?