Sunday, April 20, 2008

The not so good bride can cook!

















I love roses. They remind me of my Dad and of beautiful old paintings, like Nora's 'Lovebirds'. We did some spring planting yesterday morning. Aren't they gorgeous?
My mother-in-law also wanted to teach me some Turkish home cooking. So being the good gelin (Turkish for bride) that I am (hehehe -I am so not!) I was happy to learn from the master. This is my husband's favourite dish - it is delicious and super easy!

Sevim's Green Beans (Yesil Fasulye)
1 onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of oil
1 teaspoon of sugar
1kg green beans (the large flat type)
1 cup vegetable stock
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Pinch of salt


Chop onion and garlic fairly finely. Heat oil in medium sized pot and add onion, garlic and sugar. Saute until golden. Add a pinch of salt. Top and tail beans and break into pieces roughly 5 -10cms long. Add beans, tomato paste and stock to pot.

Cook, covered, over a low to medium flame for about half an hour. That's it!

And to be totally authentic, it is best served with rice cooked Turkish style -Pilav. This is easy and the recipe is on Binnur's Turkish Cookbook website.

Yummy!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for the comment on my blog! It really made my day! And I have to say that your photos are beautiful and the recipes sounds very tasty, so keep it up!

Rebecca Soble said...

Hi - ditto, thanks for your comment on my blog (dithyrambs.net :) And, special thanks for the green bean recipe - I have a turkish boyfriend to cook for but no turkish mother-in-law (nearby anyway) to teach me how to do it, so I was thrilled to see your fasulye recipe translated into English! Enjoy your new home in yeniköy, I know it's a lovely area. I'm down below Bostancı, which would be a completely different city from you if we were anywhere else besides Istanbul! :)